Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Lesson of Maths Class

I did not like Mathematics when I was in Primary School as I find it boring. I never enjoyed the lessons and I remembered having to memorize all the 'multiplication' and formulas. Practically, I learned through rote learning. However, my perception changed when I joined Early Childhood Education. I learned that it is easier for children to learn Mathematical concepts through hands-on activities.

I have learned the learning outcomes and rationale for teaching Mathematics and I strongly agree that children must enjoy the learning process. Mathematics should be viewed as a subject that is ‘fun’ to learn .It is a learning vehicle for children’s development and it helps to develop children’s thinking; process skills such as reasoning and communicating, raising meta cognition in problem solving as well as nurturing a positive attitude towards learning mathematics. "Seeing is really believing". While I was involve in the process of playing games, it is amazing to know that the content area can be delivered across in such interesting and fun manner and at the same time, it involves five inter-related components of concepts, processes, skills, attitudes as well as meta cognition in the whole process.  The 'spelling card' and the 'dice' games left a deep impression on me as it has never come across to me that numeracy could be taught in such interesting manner. I enjoyed the first lesson of Mathematics class as I have learned useful activities and games that I would definitely play with my K2 children.

No comments:

Post a Comment