Sunday, September 5, 2010

Reflection of Chapters 1 and 2

Mathematics was never my forte since young as my teachers of Primary and Secondary School made me do tons and tons of practice to master a concept. I believe many people of my era would reckon that Maths is boring as they suffer the same fate as me. However, my liking for Maths changed when I met my A. Maths Teacher, Mr. Lim. He was very patience with me and took great pains to explain to me the concepts. Hence, I believe that it is the "TEACHER" who makes a difference in the lives of the children and they are the ones who will make the children 'like' the subject that they taught.


After reading Chapters 1 and 2, I began to realize that there were actually theories, standards and principles involved when teaching Mathematics. Although the NCTM standards and principles mentioned is not the Singapore Maths Curriculum, however, I feel that Mathematics Curriculum does evolved around those principles, standards and theories. I strongly believed that teacher is the one who is able to create an interest in children for learning mathematics and the different approach you adopt will affect the way children learn. It is thus important for teachers to ‘like’ the subject before they teach as they will be able to think of creative and interesting ways to teach mathematical concept and engage children in critical thinking and problem solving and at the same time, making mathematics “fun’ to learn.

Hence, teachers should constantly reflect on what and how they teach based on their observation and assessment of children and at the same time have a network of teachers who share ideas and different methodology of teaching concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment